Sunday, June 17, 2007

LAMP and Wordpress


As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm currently working on a new look for the site. This entire week I was constantly changing the design. Realizing that I may be causing some inconvenience to my readers, I decided to go "old school" and set up a local LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl or PHP) server that ran Wordpress.


I just happened to have an old Dell Dimension L400c laying around so I went ahead and did a FC6 (Fedora Core 6) LAMP install as covered at howtoforge.com. The install was pretty straight forward and I ended up skipping steps 8 (Chrooted DNS Server) and 10 (Postfixas) as I felt I had no need for those options as the machine is just for testing purposes.


The WordPress Install was even simpler taking only about four commands and the modification of only one file. More information can be found at linuxjournal.com and wordpress.org. Now I have a reliable system to test the design of my page without wasting too much bandwidth. Sorry if I caused an inconvenience to anyone. If you have questions about the install feel free to contact me.

No comments: