Saturday, April 4, 2009

What Books Would Be Good For Self-Study in Bioinformatics?

Despite my lack of commitment to this site, it seems that I'm still getting comments every now and again. And I appreciate the interest. It really helps me realize the potential interest in the kind of things I've written about here.

Most recently, I got a comment from Sudhang requesting books for the computer programmer who wants to self-study in the field of Bioinformatics. The following is my list. It may seem like its a bit everywhere but that's kind of what you get with the field of Bioinformatics.

  • Molecular Cell Biology. One would get glossy eyed trying to read through this book, but you need to have a good reference to some of the Biology that is described in Bioinformatics. Of course, wikipedia is becoming more and more of a reliable source now a days as well. You could also ask the questions here at biowhat so that we all learn together, but the getting the answer is dependent on my time. 4/19/09 UPDATE: Madunca has recommended Alberts’ “Molecular Biology of the Cell” in the comments for aspiring Bioinformaticians. You may want to check that out as well as its always good to have options!

  • Biostatistics: The Bare Essentials. When I started my Masters of Bioinformatics, taking statistics was one of the requirements. Personally, I didn't have a great experience with it in undergrad so I was a bit intimidated. A friend of mine, who is an MD/PhD, recommended that I freshen up my statistics knowledge with this book. It was a great recommendation! With this book the authors attempt to make learning Statistics an entertaining experience. Though this is a daunting task, they are highly effective.

  • An Introduction to Bioinformatics Algorithms. This is probably my favorite book on this short list. It gives a little bit of everything. It gives a brief Biology Primer and then dives into what I love as a computer scientist, Algorithms! The authors look at various important Algorithms and how they apply to Bioinformatics.


Well, this is my list. Its short, but it gives you three books to what some may consider to be the cornerstone of Bioinformatics: Biology, Statistics, and Computer Science. If anyone has more recommendations, please leave them in the comments. Keep the questions coming!

No comments: