Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Work on Your Strategy Already!

I went out for an 8 miler yesterday morning and by the time I got to mile 5 my legs were dead.  I could of used the excuse that I had just run a Half on Saturday.  Or that I didn't allow any rest for my legs on Sunday (I actually played a little football and did a half mile in the pool).

The truth is, after my race I decided to splurge on junk food and have some taco bell, movie theater popcorn, and soda.  What's the big deal about all that?  I mean we're doing these long distances so we can eat whatever what we want, right?  Wrong!

For the past six months, while training, I've figured out what does and does not work for my body.  I've tweaked my diet and determined the amount of sleep I need to have a good run.  If I don't at least follow these habits then my run is just about guaranteed to blow up.  I'm amazed how many people haven't figured this out.  That's half the point of the training!  It's like they're just asking to bonk on race day.

So how about it guys.  Have you figured out what routine/habits works best for you?  (I know there's only a handful of you, but I'm sure you've got excellent information to share!)

2 comments:

joyRuN said...

What's worked for me?

Not coming in from a bachelorette party at 1am then go for my long run at 4:45am.

Ryan Castillo said...

Ate Joy - We finished those 11 miles right?! You weren't completely miserable the entire way.