Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Loans and Extra Cash

I've been looking at the loans my wife and I have and have decided its time for another programming project. This one will probably shoot to the top though considering the longer I put it off the more money we loose.

Everybody has some kind of loan, whether it be for school, a car, credit debt, whatever. And there are programs out there to help people look at what kind of payments they have to make, how much money is going to principal versus interest, etc. In fact I've been using this simple and straightforward online tool for our loans.

The real issue is, most people have multiple loans. And these loans can be totally different: they may have different lifetimes, different interest rates, and other kinds of funky rules. So what is out there that is available for people to track these multiple loans? I did a brief search yesterday and wasn't able to find any good free applications. I know some may say, you can just set up an Excel spreadsheet but that seems like a rather tedious pain in the butt to me!

What I want to have is an application that tracks all my loans and give me all the information I mentioned above. But what I want most, is for the application to tell me which loan do I put the extra cash I have at the end of each month. I need an application to handle all this!

So like I said its something I'm probably going to build myself considering the need. So far my basic research for various loan equations have led me here. I'm sure there'll be many more links to come.

No comments: