Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I Do Remember How to Swim!

9:00PM

Swim

It seems like ages since I last swam. It was actually about three weeks ago to be exact.

Taking that much time away from the water can be daunting. Swimming is such a feel and technique driven sport that you've got to do it all the time to be good. One of our coaches always talks about how crazy he thought it was that swimmers would spend thousands of hours in the pool only to get a several second gain on their swim time.

So I had my reservations before going to the pool. At first I was going to do a Master Swim class but then I convinced myself that it would be too intense. I ended procrastinating for quite a bit longer. In the end I eventually built enough motivation to get at least a 30 minute swim.

The swim went surprisingly well. My biggest take away is that I think I'm in a much better spot mentally with swimming. I expect some pretty big gains with the rest of this year's training. I even gave myself a personal rule to never touch the wall with my hands. I used this in order to force myself to do flip turns. It was a great time!

No comments: