Saturday, April 30, 2011

Days 110 - 113: Like Waiting for Christmas

I know. I've been slacking on the blog posts. And once again, no the baby isn't here yet. My training is still coming along but the anticipation for this little one is really starting to wear on me. I think I've had restless sleeps for the past week or so and this is supposed to be the time where I get the most sleep!

I was really trying to come up with a scenario that describes what the anticipation of having a first child has been for me. I've come to the conclusion its a lot like the first Christmas's you remember as a kid.

You hear about this magical day but you're still a kid so you don't really grasp the time so you shrug it off and say to yourself it'll come when it comes. This is how I kind of felt when we heard about our due date. We were super excited but at the same time realized it was a long ways away.

Then things start to happen around you. You notice toy shops promoting Christmas and decorations coming out of the attic. You feel the excitement start to build up inside of you. For me this was the kind of emotions I was going through when I first really started to feel our baby kick in my wife's belly.

Finally, the tree is up and your presents are wrapped. This is where you just go berserk as a kid. You're constantly eying your presents. Even picking them up to shake to see if you can got some kind of sense of the joy that is contained inside. As the days go bye the crazy excitement continues. It even keeps you up a little longer each night as you stay in bed. This has been the past two weeks for me.

Its crazy. I was pretty calm and collected. When people asked, I would always say "he'll come when he's ready and we're just happy to have him." Somewhere along the line the crazy man switch got turned on in my head. No more! Starting tonight I will try and resemble my once non crazed self. That is until the little guy comes. Can't wait!

4/27/11 6:00AM

Team Swim

This swim happened so many days ago I can barely remember how it felt. This is what early parenthood must feel like. I remember that it went well. I felt strong and I'm pretty sure I left the workout with a positive feeling.

4/28/11 6:00AM

Team Run

We did a 30 minute race pace or slightly harder run. It went OK for me. I think I squeezed in close to 4 miles. I did have some tightening in my calves. I talked with our coaches about this and they think its because I've been focusing on my foot landing rather than lifting my legs during my run. I worked on that for the last mile and I felt the sensation more in my hamstrings than my calves. It makes sense that this would be more efficient as its the larger muscle group. I did 6 for the day total.

4/28/11 7:15PM

Strength Class

This was just as tough as last Thursdays class. Squats, pushups, box jumps, step ups, and more craziness. I'm loving this class. Think my body is starting to wear down. I'd say it'll adapt but by the time it gets close the little man will be here.

4/29/11 6:30AM

River Swim

This went better than my last swim in the river. We still had a pretty good current which was challenging physically and mentally. I just don't like the sensation of being pushed off course but I know I'll get used to it again. Because of my discomfort I stuck with just swimming half way across and back. My sighting went really well though. By my next river swim I should be fully used to it again.

4/30/11 7:00AM

Long Ride

I wanted to stay close so I didn't bike too far with the main group. I think I ended up getting about 20 miles in but that's okay with me. Just liked that I made the ride more enjoyable and relaxing than anything else.

Brick Run

This was just like the bike. I was trying to pull the most joy out of it as possible. Loved the weather. Got a little over 2 miles in and hit some pretty good paces in the process.

No comments: