Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 97: Keeping Up with the Youngins

All kinds of shape, sizes, and ages train with us at Endorphin Fitness. They do personal and adult coaching but what they have national recognition for is their development of elite youth triathletes.

These kids are often around half my age or less and boy are they fast in every aspect of the sport. That's why I consider it a moral victory when I keep up with one of them in our workouts. Granted this week is still a rest and recovery week but like I said, its a moral victory.

6:00PM

Team Run

I was a little late getting to practice so I had to quickly do my warmup. By the time I was done the rest of the team was already doing their race prep run. I asked Michael what we were ding and he explained to do a 250 meter run at race pace and then a 150 meter run easy for about 6 to 8 sets. I asked him what pace to hit and he suggested my typical run pace for an international distance race. Then he threw in "just run with Robbie".

Now Robbie is one of the Elite youth. I could kind of keep up with him last year but I think he's hit puberty full throttle. Plus I'm just coming off my injury but those are all excuses. Regardless I kept up with him for 4 out of the 6 sets. The last one he got about a couple strides ahead of me, I think he's got that killer instinct going where he knows how to break someone mentally on the run. Also, I was running at a way faster click than international distance race pace. I was probably running at my sprint distance pace.

I'm pretty happy with myself though. I know I'm still not back running wise to wear I was 6 months ago but these little steps and hard work will get me there. Who knows maybe I'll even be able to catch one of these youth in a race. In the meantime I'll keep on taking these moral victories.

No comments: