Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 103: Visualizing Victory

6:00AM

Team Swim

As you can tell from my last several posts about my swim things haven't been going the way I would have liked. Things could have gone south really fast for today's swim as well as it seemed like one of our toughest swims of the year.

Once I saw what the workout was going to be yesterday I did have a couple of bouts of fear. Instead of letting that negative energy overtake me though I decided to visualize what it would be like to be successful at the workout. I tried to imagine every time my mind would falter and what I would do to overcome it. Instead of focusing on the workout as an opportunity to get stronger physically I viewed it as an opportunity to get stronger mentally. This mental preparation helped out a lot.

During the swim there were moments where I wanted to just stop in the middle of the pool but instead I told myself "small victories will make you mentally stronger." I used that as my own personal mantra for the day. The workout was still tough (think we did about 1500 yards at max effort) but I do feel like I left victorious. Got to finds those little wins whenever you can.

No comments: