Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 95: Practice Like You Race

6:00AM

Team Intensity/Technique Bike

This week is a rest and recovery week for our training since a lot of people are racing this weekend. For bike class we did a shorter workout but we tried to simulate the different phases of racing (ie - the start, hills, preparing for the finish).

I didn't have my heart rate monitor going because I broke my garmin at the race on Sunday. Even though it sucks, I still think this is a good thing as it allows me to really focus on the feeling rather than being dependent on what my watch is telling me. Its kind of crazy, the two triathlons where my Garmin was acting up I actually placed in my Age Group so maybe I should just not use the thing at all.

I felt good on the bike overall. There were some moments of fatigue from the weekend but I wanted to really focus on what I feel haven't worked on enough this past several months, transitioning to the run.

Brick Run

Because I've been injured I haven't been able to run off the bike the way I've liked. In fact this might have always been a weak point as I only remember one race where I came off the bike really strong. So I've decided to commit myself to coming off the bike hard like it was a race and then settling down.

I got my shoes on really quick and ran out the door. We were just doing about a lap of 100 yards so that our coach could yell out the kind of zones we should hit. I actually felt really strong. The first several laps I was settling into my pace but at the end I was really starting to hit a groove. If I want to perform well this is an area that I have to continue to focus on.

No comments: