Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 93: Inaugural Chasing Chics Triathlon

Race day! Today I did the first Chasing Chics Triathlon. It was a sprint triathlon so the swim was 300 meters, the bike was 13 miles, and the run was 3.1 miles.

For the pool swim I was about 40 seconds off my seeded time which was surprising because I don't think I passed anyone or got passed. Maybe the person behind me was just drafting off of me the entire time.

It was a bit chilly outside so the bike was nippy. I got to try my new aero helmet or as Ate Joy likes to term it, "sperm head". This is the area where I was most improved. I think I averaged a little over 24 mph on the bike. All that winter training paid off!

The run was hard. My legs still aren't quite used to coming off the bike or even running fast in general. It took me about a couple of miles to get them turning the way I wanted to. I had some moments of weakness where I wanted to just walk but I'm glad I ended up finishing the race.

Overall I did great. It was just fantastic to be out there. I placed 3rd in my new age group (30-34) and 26th overall. It was only a field of about 100 guys but placing is placing. It gets me kind of excited to think about how well I do once I get my full run fitness back. I'll get there eventually.

2 comments:

joyRuN said...

Will sperm head make me ride 24mph too?? NICE speediness!

Congrats on AG, Ryan :D

Ryan Castillo said...

Thanks Ate! Sperm head works but you got to also put some good time training on the bike.