Monday, May 16, 2011

Training Streak Broken

The title of this post is one of the first things a buddy commented to me after the birth of my first child. Obviously because of my two week disappearance from blogging its been quite the adventure so far.

It was crazy I had literally just finished writing this post when my wife revealed to me she had been labor for about an hour. Let me tell you, helping your wife through labor is no easy task. Its a lot of physical work. So much that I was going to consider it part of my training streak. I'm tempted to document all of it here but I think the reason why it hasn't been described from the male's perspective so much is because it seems like a right of passage for first time dads.

I will say this: bring warm clothes because hospitals are cold, bring plenty of snacks for you and your wife (she loved cliff shot blocks), and be patient. The labor took over 44 hours. For those of you keeping track from triathlon perspective that's about four Ironmans for elite athletes and at least two to three for everyone else. My wife's a warrior. I told our coach at EF that I'd be scared of her whenever she decided that she would try out a triathlon. I don't know how you lady's do it but I do have a new profound respect for all mothers.

Going back to the streak. Yeah, its over. It was great I had made it to 113 straight days of working out. I could honestly say not only did I think I was close to if not the best shape in my entire life but I also felt like I had the most consistency and control over my life as well. Then the little one arrived. Things got kind of chaotic but like everything you adjust and move on. After the first five days I made a mini attempt to get another streak of about four days going (bike/run, long run, stretching, brick/strength) but I decided that it would be best to focus on what's most important right now, my family.

This isn't to say that another one won't start tomorrow but in the grand scheme of things its moved down my priority list. The little guy does seem like he'll be quite the competitor though. He had "the ideal term heartbeat" all through those 44 hours of labor. I'm going to have to stay in somewhat good of shape to keep up with him.

No comments: