Tuesday, February 22, 2011

GTD Weekly Review Day 1

I've been a practitioner of Getting Things Done (GTD) for about 4 years now and I still haven't gotten my Weekly Review to the point where I do it every week. There have been instances where I didn't do it for weeks. I've tried just about everything to make the Weekly Review happen regularly. I've set aside time in my calendar, tried to simplify my review process and even started a pseudo streak tracking how often I do them.

The weekly review can be challenging because you do it weekly rather than daily, making any hope for consistency challenging. Also, it just seems like such a monumental task compared to all the other things you might have on your Next Actions list. Life always seems to get in the way and I am at fault for letting that be my execuse for not doing my Weekly Review. Well no more!

I've gotten consistent with my Training Streak so lets see if we can make the same thing happen with my Weekly Review.

The Rule

The weekly review must be completed every week on Tuesday before midnight.

First Pass

Time to Complete: 1:06

This was hard. I haven't gotten a lot of sleep the last couple of days and combining that with a pretty heavy lunch had me pretty drousy this afternoon. I managed to let myself get distracted a couple of times during the process (ie - taking phone calls and randomly browsing web pages) so I'm pretty confident I can get this under an hour. The good news is that I was able to do it in a respectable time so I still consider it a win.

Are there any other GTDers who read this blog? Do you complete your weekly review consistently?

3 comments:

joyRuN said...

I just borrowed this GTD book from the library to get a handle on everything. We'll see how it goes...

Ryan Castillo said...

I've thought about getting it for you before. Didn't want to though because people can get extreme about the process. That's why extremists have been termed the "cult of GTD". I like it though as a tool.

Ryan Castillo said...

Another good productivity methodology that I've tried is the Pomodoro Technique.