Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tagalog: Conversation from 2/12/11

I'm starting a new topic today. As I alluded to in a previous post, I wanted to start writing reviews of some of the conversations that I have in Tagalog with my Mom. Here, she'll be able to correct some of the things that I misunderstood. I also hope that writing about it will help me build a stronger understanding of the rules/phrases and not have to ask my Mom to explain the same thing over again.

Phrases and Vocabulary

  • Magandang umaga po - "Good morning". The "po" is to indicate respect similar to Sir and Mam in English.
  • Paano sabihin ... - "how do you say... ?" This is a phrase that I use often to ask how to say something in Tagalog.
  • lakad - walk (n)
  • Kamusta ang lakad sa Reston? - This litterally translates to "How you walk in Reston", but "lakad" is used in phrases when you have something to do or somewhere to go. So I believe This phrase means "How was the trip to Reston?". If I wanted to say "How was your trip to Reston?" it would be "Kamusta ang lakad mo sa Reston?"
  • May lakad ako - "I have somewhere to go."
  • lalakad ako dito - "I am going to walk here"
  • lalakad ako - "I am going to walk"
  • lalakad ako duon sa park - "I am going to walk at the park." This is a little bit of Taglish which is a mixture of Tagalog and English. Sometimes its just easier to use the English word.
  • Anong niluluto mo? - "what are you cooking?"
  • ang mga damit - "the clothes"
  • lahat ng damit - "all the clothes"
  • Magdadamit ako - "I am going to wear clothes"
  • ako may dadamit - "I am going to wear clothes now"
  • Anong damit ang susuotin mo? - "What clothes are you going to to wear?"
  • suotin - "to wear"
  • susuotin - "going to wear"
  • azul asul - "blue". NOTE: There is no 'z' in the Tagalog alphabet
  • kulay - "color"
  • may - "with", "has", "have"
  • Anong ginagawa niyo? - "What are you doing?" (plural)
  • Anong ginagawa mo? - "What are you doing?" (singular)
  • Para saan? - "what for?" This phrase is particular because "what" is "ano" but for this phrase "para" (where) is used instead.
  • tabi - "side"
  • itabi - "set aside"

UPDATE: I made all the corrections my Mom suggested. Thanks Mom! Love you.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Paano sabihin
Kamusta ang lakad sa Reston? - How was the trip to Reston?
Kamusta ang lakad mo sa Reston? - How was your trip to Reston?
May lakad ako. I think this is Filipino slang for "I have somewhere to go." The proper form is "Meron akong pupuntahan.

Unknown said...

Ano ang - this becomes anong, one vowel after the other. Anong niluluto mo? - What are you cooking?
ang mga damit - the clothes
lahat ng damit - all the clothes
Magdadamit ako. - I am going to wear clothes.
Anong damit ang susuotin mo? - What clothes are you going to wear?
asul - blue There is no "z" in the Tagalog alphabet.
Anong ginagawa niyo? - What are you doing? (plural)
Anong ginagawa mo? - What are you doing? (singular)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

may - also means has or have
tabi - side
itabi - set aside
"Meron akong pupuntahan." - same as "May pupuntahan ako."

addictetoeris said...

Reading this reminds me of taking Tagalog class... and forcing myself to have extensive conversations with my parents. You may not always use it, but it's good to know it's there when you need to. Notice how naturally it will come to you when in the presence of elder Filipinos (like ordering food at the restaurant! ha!)

Ryan Castillo said...

Eris - I didn't know you spoke tagalog. I'm really trying to get it down for our son. I'd like to preserve our culture as much as possible. Cooking Filipino food and speaking Tagalog were the best things that came to mind.