Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Boxer + Syndicate FTW!

I come from an era where we had to launch our video games from the command line. So every time an emulator comes out I get a little nostalgic.

Over at Daring Fireball Gruber shared a link for Boxer, "The DOS game emulator that's fit for your Mac." I promptly installed Syndicate and relived my adolescent days.

I don't think Syndicate was one of my favorite DOS games ever, but I distinctly remember the summer I first played it. My Mom was working on some Oil Tankers in Turkey and I was stuck on base hanging out with her coworkers. Their solution for entertaining a 12 year old kid? Syndicate and "Some Kind of Wonderful". Great times!

2 comments:

Brian said...

I like the quote from a review referenced on wikipedia : ""This isn't a game to use as a morality lesson for the kids — it's bloody, it requires you to be ruthless, and some people may take issue with the use of drugs to control your agents."

I think that explains your fits of violent drug use.

Ryan Castillo said...

I know right! But seriously though. What better way to educate a 12 year old kid on the moralities of the world. A John Hughes flick and an ultra violent game. Win, win.