Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Training Streak: Day 81

6:00PM

Hard Brick

THIS WAS A TOUGH WORKOUT.

We did an 8 mile bike at race intensity followed by a 2 mile run while still maintaining race intensity. For one this was a pretty tough workout but if I had to dissect it I'd say taking too many chances on the bike wore me out.

We had about 30+ people out there so drafting was going to happen. I was with the second fastest group and on several occasions tried to outrun them. As Coach Tyler would term it, I probably just wasted too many of my bullets on the bike. If I had just taken what the situation gave me and just drafted the entire time I probably would have been able to stay with the first group.

All the wasted energy on the bike made my run pretty challenging. It didn't help that this was the second brick I've done this season. It took quite a while for me to even get started but once I did I felt like I was lifting dead weight for that first mile. Eventually I got my legs turning that second mile.

Overall I'm really happy with how I performed today. I know I'm much stronger today than yesterday because of the challenge.

2 comments:

joyRuN said...

That first mile off the bike is unreal. I always feel like my legs aren't attached right.

Speaking of tough swim, we had to do descending intervals of 50m, starting at 1:20 down to 0:55. So annoyed that I only hit 2 of the 4 reps at 0:55 - my arms felt like jelly by that point.

Ryan Castillo said...

Ate Joy - Nice! Descending intervals are always tough. Glad to hear you're getting some intense workouts with your swims.