Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 59: Too Much of Anything

They say too much of anything is a bad thing. This is very true for training for endurance events.

You spend so many countless hours getting the miles in that it becomes part of your lifestyle. It gets to the point where if you don't get that workout in it really messes with your day. At least for me it does. While this is all good you have to be wary of working yourself beyond this point.

This is where people get "burned out". Your energy and mental toughness begin to quickly diminish in not only your workouts but also in other aspects of your life. I've been through this before and it was a very negative place. It almost felt like what some people would describe as depression. This is why its important to take those preemptive rest days.

Its nice to go all out and work hard but you do have to also listen to your body and let it recover.

6:00PM

Core Workout and Stretching

Today was a very light core and stretching session. I was getting ancy because I didn't feel like I worked hard enough to merit a workout. But then I remembered the importance of recovery. 59 straight days of exercise is quite a bit so I'm okay with having back to back "light" days.

Plus, I have an orthopedic appointment tomorrow. It would have been bad if I went in there all banged up. Cross your fingers for some good news!

No comments: