Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 57: Training Groups and Mount Trashmore Park

I'm down at Virginia Beach for the weekend so I got my brother in law to come out and do some riding with me. Mount Trashmore was a convenient location because his wife is doing an exercise boot camp.

This got me thinking about Training Groups. They've become a craze lately with programs such as Boot Camp and SEAL Team. Whether its for weight loss, running, triathlons, martial arts, or just fitness I think these exercise groups are a powerful thing. They seem to be 10x more effective than a standard gym membership. I think people find them compelling for several reasons all of which build on top of one another.
  1. No judgement. A lot of people get discouraged by the idea of working out because of insecurities. With these training groups those insecurities tend to melt away. At different points of the exercise everyone looks exhausted and is pushing themselves to their limits. At that point you can't help but have the utmost respect for the person next to you regardless of why they are part of your group. Its a very empowering thing.
  2. Camaraderie. You'll find people cheering each other in these programs which begins to build a sense of camaraderie. I know a lot of people who have formed lifetime friendships because of this reason.
  3. Accountability. This camaraderie reinforces accountability. People motivations for their workouts begin to change. They start showing up to workouts for those very friendships that they've built.

I've had the benefit of being part of two awesome fitness groups: The Marathon Training Team and Endorphin Fitness. What about everyone else? Is there an exercise group that you love?

8:00AM

Mountain Bike

This was just a fun ride. Mount Trashmore doesn't really have any trails but has a couple of hills to get your heart rate up. It was nice weather and great company so I couldn't ask for more!

No comments: