Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 65: Trail Run

12:30PM

Trail Run

I've always wanted to get into to trail running. It was an amazing 75 degrees and sunny in the RVA today so the weather was practically telling me to do a run.

I went over to Deep Run Park. I feel more comfortable with that area now that I spent the entire winter biking their trails. I had a decent run, not too long. I'm still trying to remain conservative and build a good initial base. Plus trail running itself is an entirely different beast. You have to concentrate a lot more or else you'll trip over a root and face plant into the ground.

The run itself was beautiful. I've grown to love running and I think its mostly because of the different places it has taken me. Several years ago I couldn't wait to get out of Richmond but then I started running and a whole different side of Richmond opened up to me. I began to run in amazement as I started to get to know the different parts of the city. When we would run across bridges I'd just stare at amazement at the James River.

I think this is why I now feel a pull to the trails. Running has somehow made me appreciate the outdoors and nature a whole lot more. Trails are not like the road, they can very much be altered by the weather so regardless if you run the same trail each time every one can be totally different. I can't wait! I just hope to avoid the poison ivy and snakes.

Has anyone else gotten into trail running? Any great trails that you guys recommend?

2 comments:

Brian said...

Wear tall socks. Protects you from poison ivy and brambles, and as an added bonus you look super cool.

Ryan Castillo said...

Brian - Nice! With the short shorts and my current fro, I'll look like a basketball player from the 70s running the trails. I guess I have to start growing the stache.