Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Everyday Tagalog Verbs

When I first started to practice learning Tagalog several people told me "know the root". They were talking about verbs and knowing their root form. Trying to jump into a new language is hard; trying to do that while knowing each grammatical rule is even harder.

Imagine attempting to explain word conjugations to a foreign speaker. Think its easy? Look at "think" and "eat". They're two straightforward verbs. To conjugate them in the action of doing you just add the suffix "-ing": "thinking" and "eating". Simple enough. What about past tense? "Thought" and "Ate". How do you explain that? There is no simple rule. Its just having experience with language.

In an effort to keep things simple (the KISS principle) I decided to compile a list of everyday verbs and their root Tagalog translation.

  • wake up - gising
  • to shower/bathe - maligo (Thanks Mae!)
  • to cook - luto
  • to eat - kain
  • to go - punta
  • to wash - hugasan
  • to walk - lakad
  • to talk - usap
  • to drink - inumin
  • to sit - umupo
  • to sleep - tulog
  • to clean - linis
  • to know - alam
  • to leave - alis
  • to wait - antay
  • to go down - baba
  • to read - basa
  • to buy - bili
  • to get up - bangon
  • to carry - karga
  • to knock - katok
  • to get or take - kuha

Are there any daily verbs that I am missing? Let me know in the comments and I'll find their root translation. Also, if I'm wrong please let me know. I know my Mom will eventually read this and correct me but every little bit helps.

6 comments:

Ezekiel said...

to shower/ bathe - maligo

naligo- have taken a bath

Ryan Castillo said...

Thanks Mae! I made the change.

Unknown said...

linis - root for clean
malinis - adjective - cleam
naglinis - cleaned
maglilinis - will be cleaning

More roots/verbs:
alam - know
alis - leave
antay - wait
baba - go down
basa - read
bili - buy
bangon - get up
karga - carry
katok - knock
kuha - get or take

Ryan Castillo said...

Salamat Po! I made the changes. I'll save your conjugated suggestions for linis for another blog post.

joyRuN said...

gisingin is to wake up

the root is gising

Unknown said...

Your Ate Joy is correct:
gising - awake
gisingin - wake up
nagising - woke up
nagigising - waking up
kagigising - just woke up

hugas or hugasan - wash
hinugasan - washed
hinuhugasan - washing
huhugasan - will be washing

dating - arrive
dumating - arrived
kadadating or kadarating - just arrived

uwi - go or come home
umuwi - went or came home
uuwi - going home
kauuwi - just got or came home