Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 69: Barefoot Running

9:30AM

"Barefoot" Run

It was a beautiful day outside today. I'm still in the midst of getting back into running so I'm trying to remain somewhat conservative. For right now that just means to avoid running on the road and not to get the mileage too high too soon. I also take ice baths several times a week to help me recover faster between runs.

I went over to deep run park to just run on the grass. I also decided to wear my vibrams to simulate barefoot running. I do believe barefoot running helps improve running form but I also advise people who want to try it out to be cautious. Do it too much and too fast and you can really hurt yourself. For me personally, it helps me to focus on making sure that I'm striking the ground with the correct part of my foot. It also helps me maintain a high cadence by trying to minimize the force of impact my feet have with the ground.

The run was nice. It was a beautiful day outside. I ended up doing a little over 30 minutes. I might have pushed it a little too much because I got a couple of blisters and my calves were sore afterward. Great way to experience the beautiful weather though.

Nutrition

All nutrition tracking was thrown out of the window today due to Saint Patrick's Day

No comments: