Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 62: Running in the Rain

6:00AM

Team Run

Woohoo! I attended my first team run in I don't remember how long. I didn't do the same workout as everyone else because I'm just getting back into running. I purposely left my Garmin at home so I wouldn't even focus on time but I'm sure I got a little over two miles done.

It was raining during the entire run which was fine with me. I was just happy to be out there. It could have been 30 degrees and windy and I would have still enjoyed the run. At different points I couldn't help but remember the joy I used to feel when running and just ran with a big smile. Its the little things you have to enjoy in life. For my run today, it was the rain hitting my face, just being able to be out there, and to see my teammates. I'm so glad that I got to experience this run.

7:15PM

Strength Class

These classes are starting to get to be a lot of fun. Now that we've switched formats I try to do the workout with as little rest as possible while also focusing on good form and control. We did a lot of back and core stuff so we'll see how tomorrow morning's swim goes.

Remember the ab wheel? I thought it was a made for TV gimick but now that I've tried it out, it can be quite challenging. The key is to do the right form and focus on working the correct muscles. As you "roll out" you have to make sure the wheel stays under your face or else you'll start to strain your back. When you "roll back in" you have to focus on working your ab muscles rather than your arms. To do this you can focus on the the same motion you do when your doing knee raises. Your knees won't actually move but by concentrating on that type of movement you engage your core muscles.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

glad you're back on the pavement bro!

Ryan Castillo said...

Not on the pavement yet. Still designating myself to soft surfaces.

joyRuN said...

Those ab wheels are no joke if you do them right. My gym has them, & I can only roll out a couple of times to each side.